Derby Hippodrome hit by new disaster

Written on .

Arson suspected for third fire in 8 years

The Derby Hippodrome, already on the Theatres Trust’s At Risk register, has been hit by the third major fire since 2008. The fire brigade said that it seemed that the fire on Sunday had been set deliberately.

Built in 1914 with 1,000 seats the Hippodrome has been a theatre, cinema and bingo hall, but has been closed since 2007. 

It has had a chequered ownership career since then and has consequently been neglected, but the Derby Hippodrome Restoration Trust had hoped to buy it and carry out a £20m restoration. It was listed in 2013.

A spokesperson for the Theatres Trust said the Hippodrome’s future was of real concern. "For those theatres that have been neglected by their owners and are at greater risk, it becomes doubly important to have foolproof safety and security measures in place" they said.

Posted in News

Print